This is not your average steak and potato coupling. If you read my last post (Smoked Duck Bacon Wrapped Scallops…) you know that I was gifted a credit to D’Artagnan by my sister for my birthday, and while I wanted to cook everything as soon as the box came, I decided to freeze my delicious gifts and plan my attack for each ingredient. Today from D’Artagnan I am using a 14 oz. Kobe-Style Wagyu Beef Boneless Ribeye and White Truffle Butter. What better to accompany steak and butter? Potatoes.
How To Not Mess Up A Wagyu Ribeye? I did some research and ended up in the trusty hands of Australian cattle rancher Greg Norman. Here’s what he has to say…
- Allow the steak to reach room temperature before cooking.
- Preheat a dry heavy grill pan on high for 4 minutes.
- Add rock salt directly to the hot pan (The sizzle of rock or sea salt combined with Wagyu’s natural fat produces a mouth watering caramelized crust).
- DO NOT USE OIL OR BUTTER! Cook in a dry pan. Sear each side for two minutes on high.
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until medium rare.
- Serve immediately on pre-warmed plate.
I did exactly that except my cut was fairly thin so I only did an additional 2 mins per side after the 2 min sear.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cut the potatoes into thin chips but do not go all the way through!
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt
- Put in the oven on a baking sheet for 35 mins
- After 35 mins sprinkle with parmesan cheese and dollop with truffle butter. It will seep into the cracks and sink into the potatoes while the cheese gets crispy and brown.Cook for another 10 mins.
Life is short. Treat yourself!